Sunday, September 23, 2012

Where MB officially goes low carb

I have decided that after this week, no more bread will live in my cupboard. After last week's success (on the scale and generally feeling like I had more energy, less tummy problems, etc.) I think there might be something to this whole low carb thing. Filling my diet with lean protein, vegetables, and fruits and the occasional sweet treat (read low fat pudding cup) seems to leave me satisfied and not wanting to stuff my face.

I also have to work on my relationship with food. After a hard week, all I wanted to do was go to the Cheesecake Factory and get something tasty. Now, I have to think of food more as fuel and eat things that will nourish me, not just taste good (though I'm hoping that the two won't be mutually exclusive). That being said, the one other person who has read this blog suggested that I post recipes for things that I like to eat and that are good for me.

Roasted Garlic Cauliflower

Cauliflower is low in fat, low in carbohydrates but high in dietary fiber, folate, water, and vitamin C.
Most people think it's gross, but trust me, if you like garlic, this will change your mind about the brain-like vegetable know a C-flower, in the 'hood of course.

1 head Cauliflower, chopped into 1/2-1 inch pieces
7-8 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oven to 500 degrees. Toss all ingredients together and place on a cookie sheet (or shallow baking dish). Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then reduce the oven temperature to 450 and roast for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cauliflower is light brown, stirring occasionally 

Don't get scared. The garlic will smell like its burning. It will be, sort of. It will get crunchy and salty and delicious. Your house will smell like garlicky popcorn, and you'll get a low carb, awesome side dish.


1 comment:

  1. Yay recipe! We should do a baking/cooking day of good for you stuff that we can eat all week for lunch and dinner!

    ReplyDelete